Living the Backyard Permaculture Dream (three days over three months)
Date(s) - 14 Apr - 9 Jun
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Let the trusted professionals at VEG take your hand and lead you up the garden path…
Sense a potential permaculture paradise in your backyard but not sure how to get there? This three-day (spread over three months) workshop will support you toward finding the best answers and solutions for your situation leaving you with confidence in the right next steps for you. Guaranteed!
This workshop will involve three face-to-face days (Sunday April 14th, Sunday May 12, and Sunday June 9th) on three different properties across the northern and eastern suburbs of Melbourne as well as an online and workbook component you are supported to complete before each face-to-face day. The workshop includes:
- Three hands-on days together
- A series of accessible short videos and email instructions made specifically for this course (in which we share our 30 years plus of combined experience designing, implementing and managing backyard suburban permaculture systems)
- A comprehensive workbook you can do learning and work leading up to each day together
- Full access to a bunch of VEG e-booklets on topics ranging from veggies to chooks to compost to fruit trees to good design and decision making
- An optional free follow-up skype conference call a month after the last face-to-face day for any new questions that arise once you start the hands-on process of developing your backyard
- The option of a discounted personal online or face-to-face consultancy visit from VEG for up to one year the workshop if you find yourself wanting more support
- A discount for up to one year after the workshop on any VEG chook systems, wicking beds, rocket barrel oven installation or edible landscaping service
- Ongoing membership in our VEG gardening online community group
Here’s how it works:
After registering, you will be assigned pre-workshop homework:
- You will be given clear video instructions then required to draft a clear intention statement for what you’d like your place to become (we’ll give examples and you’ll be able to do this fine 🙂 )
- You will be required to share your property address (or any property you want to work with) with us and we will prepare and send a high-resolution aerial photo for you to print, along with clear homework instructions for things we’ll ask you to get out and observe before the workshop
- You will also be required to film and submit a one or two minute video of your place so we can quickly grasp the lay of the land
- You will finally be required to bring a soil sample (we’ll send clear directions) that we will look at together during the first day together (April 14th, 2019)
In the course of the three face-to-face days a combination of our three experienced facilitators and permaculture designers Dan Palmer, Jeremy Prentice & Adam Grubb will hold your hand as with (humour and style) we take you through:
- The importance of starting with clear intention (and getting the different family members on the same page)
- Coming to understand your place intimately, including helping you see things that you probably have not yet seen
- Understanding your soil and how to work with it
On this day we’ll go through the experience of immersing in the venue (which will be representative of a yet-to-be-permacultured Melbourne suburban property) such that you’ll all be ready to go home and spend the next month immersing in your own place and very likely discovering stuff you had no idea about.
This day will be held in an established permaculture garden meaning you’ll get to see lots of mature systems in place, where we’ll go through what we believe is the ultimate process for unfolding and implementing a beautiful edible garden layout in your space.
- Clear examples of the options available to you and whether they make sense for you
- Crystal clarity on the right next steps for you
This day will be held in an another established permaculture garden meaning you’ll get to see lots of mature systems in place.
As should be clear, this will be a highly interactive experience where the main subject matter will be you and your situation. We will effectively be mentoring or coaching you toward being in control of your own process of making your own place as alive, beautiful, harmonious and productive as possible.
Workshop fee includes morning and afternoon teas and a comprehensive booklet of notes to support you moving forward. Lunch is a bring-your-own affair. Participant numbers strictly capped at 16.
There will be options if needed for either a follow up call or some kind of custom design consultancy post-workshop, should you desire it.
Final Note: Just to be sure you didn’t miss this point, these days are not about us being the experts who do a design for you, but us being the mentors who support you to start moving with confidence and clarity toward designing your place yourself. In a way you could say the days are about helping you ask the right questions rather than drowning you in yet more pre-packaged answers :-).